What causes stomach pain and burning sensation in stomach with normal endoscopy?

Posted on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: IAM 46 YRS OLD. FOR PAST 14 YRS I HAVE DIGESTION PROBLEM. I HAVE TAKEN PLENTY OF ENDOSCOPY AND ULTRASOUND ABDOMEN TESTS. SO FAR IT HAS NOT REVEALED ANY ABNORMALITY. ENDOSCOPY ONLY REVEALED GASTRITIS AND REFLUX PROBLEM. BUT MY DIGESTION CAPACITY IS SOMEWHAT NOT GOOD. IF I TAKE OILY FOODS, FATTY FOODS, AND SPICY FOODS I GET STOMACH ACHE AND STOMACH BURNS. BUT FOR PASTY 1 YR OR SO I FREQUENTLY PASS MOTION NEARLY 4 TO 5 TIMES A DAY. WHENEVER I TAKE HEAVY FOOD I GET THE URGE TO PASS MOTION. MY FAMILY PHYSICIAN BRUSHED IT OFF SAYING IT AS A IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME. MOTION MOSTLY IS OF NORMAL CONSISTRNCY BUT OCCASIONALLY IT IS LOOSE.NOW RECENTLY FOR PAST 10 DAYS I HAVE SLIGHT PAIN IN LOWER ABDOMEN AND SEVERE PAIN IN BOTH KNEES, FOOT AND THIGHS AND HIPS AND IN NECK TOO. RECENTLY I TTOK ENDOSCOPY AND ULTRA SOUND ABDOMEN. BOTH THE TESTS ARE NORMAL. MY OTHER BLOOD TESTS LIKE KIDNEY FUNCTION, SUGAR TESTS ARE NORMAL TOO. URINE ROUTINE AND URINE CULTURE IS ALSO NORMAL. MY QUESTION IS WILL THERE BE ANY PROBLEM IN COLON AS I PASS MOTION FREQUENLY AND SLIGHT PAIN IN LOWER ABDOMEN, I ASKED MY DOCTOR WHETHER TO HAVE COLONOSCOPY BUT MY DOCTOR BRUSHED IT OFF SAYING THAT SINCE MY STOOLS TEST IS NORMAL AND OTHER BLOOD TESTS LIKE ESR AND RBC, WBC AND HAEMOGLOBIN ARE NORMAL IT IS UNLIKELY THAT I HAVE A PROBLEM IN COLON. AND HE SAYS THAT COLONOSCOPY IS TEDIOUS AND LONG PROCEDURE. HE SAYS MY PROBLEM REG PAIN IN KNEES AND THIGHS IS DUE TO ORTHO AND NEURO PROBLEM AND DISC PROBLEM. HE ASKED ME TO GO FOR MRI OF LOW BACK. IAM YET TO TAKE MRI.WILL THERE BE ANY PROBLEM IN COLON ? IS COLONOSCOPY REQD. UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES AND SYMPTOMS WILL U ADVICE COLONOSCOPY. I HAVE FATTY LIVER PROBLEM TOO. MY LIVER FUNCTION TESTS LIKE SGOT AND SGPT IS SLIGHTLY ON THE HIGHER SIDE FOR PAST 10 YRS AROUND 75 AND 80.IAM TAKING KYRAB D ,MEBIZ SR, URSOCOL 300 , HEPATOGARD MEDICINES, IS MY PROBLEM PAIN IN KNEES AND THIHS ORTHO RELATED OR COLON RELATED.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They are ortho related

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing in

I think your doctor is right, you have IBS and may be an episode of colitis.

Instead of going for colonoscopy why don't you give a try to a good probiotic for minimum of six weeks twice a day before meals.

Your knee etc problems are for sure not related to colon

Also if the probiotic do not work take a short seven to ten days treatment of antibiotics

Avoid taking junk foods

You are taking adequate medicines for liver so just avoid fried, fermented meals and alcohol if used to.

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
THANKS DOCTOR, I WAS PETRIFIED WHEN ONE OF MY RELATIVES TOLD ME TO GO FOR COLONOSCOPY.HE TOLD ME THAT IF THERE IS A MASS OR LESSION INDICATING CANCEROUS GROWTH IN COLON , YOU ARE LIKELY TO GET KNEE PAIN AND HIP AND THIGH PAIN. SO I WAS AFRAID THAT IT IS CANCER RELATEDIN COLON.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Good you are confident now

Detailed Answer:
Hi

It is really good to know that your concerns have been taken care off

Again it is always advisable to see you healthcare provider when ever there is any doubt

DO not rely on everything online or information provided by friends and relatives

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical