What causes stomach pain and bloating?

Posted on Mon, 21 Jul 2014 in General Health
Question: I am a 40 years old female diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010 and had chemo and radiation with a modified radical mastectomy. I am very thin 39 Kg and height is 167 cm. I have a history of anxiety and panic attacks. I started complaining of heart palpitations since 2010 and was told that I have sinus tachycardia. I saw several cardiologist who did echo and ECG which showed nothing. I some times have rapid heart beat that goes up to 100-110-120
I have a low blood pressure most of the day is 90/60
I complain of a chest tightness feel, pressure like or dull feeling in the center of my chest. I feel unable to take one full deep breath.
I as well complain from discomfort and tightness in my upper stomach, painful to the tough during physical examination.
As well have discomfort in my abdomen where I feel it is tight and stretched with some bloating.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be stress induced gastritis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

I have read your query and understand your concern.

Your stomach pain and bloating could be stress induced gastritis due to your anxiety.

I would advice that you take a course of a ppi tablet like pantaprazole or omeprazole for a few days and see if your symptoms improve. If they do then you need to continue for a few weeks. Also you need to avoid tea, coffee and spicy foods.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 15 hours later
what is the cause for chest tightness and pressure in the center of the chest right under the breast bone? Could it be angina? and would angina show in ECG
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
could be due to angina

Detailed Answer:

Yes chest tightness can be due to angina.

But angina will not show on ecg. You will need to undergo stress test for it.

But pressure in the center could also be due to lymph node in that region. So it is advisiable to get a chest x-ray also done and checked by a physician.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
The pressure, dull pain and discomfort is not something constant. It comes and goes. I observed that when I am hungry or dehydrated I have this pressure feeling in the center of my chest right where the breast bone is. It is dull, not aching pain, and does not prevent me from doing activities.
1. If I already had an ECHO for the heart, would angina triggers show or still a stress test is a MUST?
2. What sort of pain are you referring to that calls for a need to do a chest X-Ray. Does that mean any one present with chest pain (even if one and off) undergoes x-ray?
3. If it is angina will it put me at risk of heart attack? and how can I treat and avoid angina
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
its mostly gastritis not angina

Detailed Answer:

As your pain increases on empty stomach then its is mostly gastritis only. And it is mostly associated with a reflux of gastric acid into your esophagus to cause the pain in center of the chest. And treatment will be the same as told in the first reply.

Angina pain occurs during physical or emotional stress.

And so angina will not be picked up on heart echo scan as it is done at rest.

I had asked for a chest xray as you had told that you are having pressure in the chest, as i was thinking in terms of your breast cancer spreading to mediastinal lymph nodes. But as now it is has been clarified by you that it is not constant, so it will not be required.

And yes angina can put you in risk of heart attack, but first you need to get that confirmed by stress test. Further management will depend upon its type and severity. But as per your symptoms i will still go with gastritis only.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon