What causes stiffness and pain in thighs and lower back?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Back Pain
Question: I have severe stiffness and pain in my thighs and lower back, especially in the morning. It is somewhat alleviated with ibuprofen. There has been no illness or injury so I am wondering if it could be caused by medication that I take, i.e., prozac, benzapril lipitor among others. I am a 77 year old female, slightly overweight and otherwise in good health. Exercise is limited because of the condition. It feels like I went horsebackriding after not having been on a horse for awhile! That's the best way I can th
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Expert advise & self care would help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,XXXX,
Thanks for the query . I have read & understood your concern
1. Yes, your guess is correct.. the medicines you are taking are for various indications, -Prozac( anti depressant ), Benzapril ( blood pressure ) & lipitor ( for controlling bad cholesterol )-- all of them are known to cause muscle & back pain as a side effect & may be it is combined effect of all that's bothering you.
* But before coming to conclusion that your problem is out of side effects of the medicines, we should exclude other conditions common in advanced age. Please don't worry. It seems to be beginning of some age related condition & can be controlled when managed in time.. .
2 The common causes of back & thigh stiffness in morning at your age are-
- Osteoarthritis of hip joint . It is joint pain due to wear & tear of bones , commonly seen in advanced age ,obesity being a predisposing factor.
- Calcium & vitamin D deficiency .. again common in old age . It causes weakness of bones/ muscles .
- Lumber spondylosis.. Though seems to be less possible from your information.. it needs exclusion. Again it is an effect of wear & tear of vertebrae & inter vertebral discs.. This may press a nerve supplying back & thigh & cause
muscle stiffness & pain.
3. In this context I would advise for-
- Consulting your doctor & discuss with him the probable side effect of the medications you are taking.. & change to dosage / shifting with more safer drugs.
- Consultation of an orthopedic surgeon . He will evaluate your bone & joint health by detailed physical examination / certain pathological tests..Blood .. serum calcium/ vitamin D / antibodies to specify type of arthritis/ X ray Hip & lumber spine.
4 After pin pointing the cause of your problem.. he will offer you specific management ( supplementation of calcium, vitamin D / pain& anti inflammatory drugs / physiotherapy/ surgery .. if needful )
5. Self care-
- A healthy life style with optimum caloric intake with an object to make the bones strong & reduce body weight / mild exercises after the pain is controlled( as per physiotherapist guidance )/ respiratory exercises/ Meditation to have a sound mind.. so as to have a tension free mind .. which causes aggravation of pain factor./ Optimum sound sleep for 8 hours ( use Yoganidra audio cassette )
I know , with self care & expert advise you would succeed in controlling the bothering pain & lead a happy life.
Hope you find the answer both informative & useful. Please don't hesitate to continue the discussion. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thank youy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad