What causes squishy lump on head of a 6 month old infant?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: i would to speak with someone about my 6 month old son, i notice a squishy bump on the side of his head he is acting normal i am just worried due to the opposite side of his head feeling hard and boney like normal. shoukd i be concerned or am i ovet reacting?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Send an image of this bump to me for review!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this bump and all the inconveniences this must have caused you. To be sure about what you are talking about, I will suggest that you upload an image for review. This way, your response will be personalized and not just generic.

To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

However, must bumps in children are normal and is not suggestive of any specific disease.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 6 minutes later
it doesnt acctually appear as a bump. i was rubbing his head to get him to sleep when i notice it. it feels like a bubble or a water blister of sone sort but its very soft and squishy
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are probably overreacting!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this precision.

I think you are overreacting to this. Soft parts on the skin are not uncommon and are not of any pathological significance because all the important structures in the head are enclosed inside the brain. Be calm and relaxed about this and all I recommend at this time is monitor only and not seek for any further aggressive medical attention.

I hope this helps. I wish you and your baby well. Keep me updated if you have any further worries!.

Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 6 hours later
thanks but i listened to my gut he has a hemotoma i brought him to our local hospital
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 46 hours later
Brief Answer:
Okay, That's fine!

Detailed Answer:

With no history of trauma, am a listen concerned about this hematoma unless he sustained one that you never realised. Let me know how well he responds.

I wish you well.