What causes spotting during pregnancy?

Dr. Neel Kudchadkar

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi. My wife is 6 weeks 3 days pregnant. Brown spotting started since yesterday after urinating. Is there any danger.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Neel Kudchadkar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Brown spotting at 6 weeks pregnancy is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

I am Dr. Neel Kudchadkar and I will help you. I have carefully examined your question and being your personal doctor, I will assist you in all these matters.

Look, at 6 weeks and 3 days of pregnancy, we have certain changes occurring in the woman's body. The neck of the womb is called the cervix, and at this junction we have the formation of a mucus plug. Thus, due to this and other changes, it is rather normal for brown spotting to occur in 6 week pregnant women and is no sign of any problem or issue.

I am pretty sure of this, and that it is a normal phenomena that occurs in pregnant women, like morning sickness, for example.

There is no disease, nothing serious. It's OK.

Thanks,
Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar