What causes sore throat with normal chest X ray?

Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi doctors,
I was hoping you could help me. About 8 or 9 months ago I went through a huge HIV scare and that caused me to a little right in the throat. Anyway it went away in May after my heart military physical only to return a few weeks later when I had more worrieds so I believe it is anxiety. Anyway for some reason I can't get larynx cancer out of my head. I have looked up symptoms such as persistent cough and sore throat, lumps in neck and so forth. Anyway the only real symptom I have had is this tightness in my throat. I think I may sound a little hoarse today and feel like something is in my throat but that only started a day ago. I fully want to believe it is just anxiety. I am a 24 year old male. I only drink in the weekends and smoke maybe once a month. I never inhale however and have only been doing so since maybe 20 or 21. I am very scared an was hoping for your advice.

I was wondering specifically,
Does this sound like cancer to you? I have no problems breathing or swallowing.
I have seen my military doctor here and after feeling for masses in my neck and looking down my throat he told me I didn't have cancer and not to worry, should I believe him?
I had a chest x-ray in late May that showed nothing out of the ordinary, would it have shown up on it?
Why is this type of cancer so rare in my age group?
If it is cancer, will I for sure have to hae my voice box removed?
If that happens does that mean I can never surf or dive again?
What do you think my risk is?

I know I'm probably being crazy but I've been so worried. Any help will be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are not having Cancer.

Detailed Answer:
As per your clinical history it appears that you are having upper respiratory tract infection. It is not a cancer of voice box .

Your military doctor is write , you should believe him. Your chest x ray is also normal . If you have any lung cancer it will be shown upon it.
Voice box cancer rare at your age because it require long term exposure of smoking tobacco , family history & old age favor it.
There is no real risk in you having voice box cancer.
If I were your treating doctor, I would advice you Antiseptic Mouth Wash thrice daily , paracetamol & Vitamin c .
You can discuss this with your treating doctor.

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Thanks .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply doctor. So in your opinion I'm just freaking myself out for no real reason?
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your very overcautious with no real reason .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks .

In my opinion , your very overcautious with no real reason .

Hope this help you , take care and have a nice day.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 5 minutes later
Thank you again doctor for your advice, it has helped greatly
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wish you good health.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks .
My pleasure .
Wish you good health.