What causes small sized stool with floating nature?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am getting stool ranging from 1 inch to 1cm to even smaller. some small stool floats in water. I feel like losing my energy after going stool. I am 24 yrs age , Male.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
IBS , supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Small stools with floating nature indicates Irritable bowel syndrome likely. It needs diet and lifestyle modifications only. Eat small frequent meals, avoid dairy products, fatty foods, spices, processed & canned foods, coffee, alcohol, beverages, soda, chocolate etc. Prefer fresh fruits and vegetables, diet rich in fiber. Use yogurt and peppermint in every meal as probiotic and antispasmodic supplement. Adapt good toilet habit. Use morning time after breakfast for toilet and resist the urge to defecate rest of the day.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Thank you very much for reply....Whats the difference between constipation and ibs. Today morning i took one constipation tablet. Do i need to continue with it or buy ibs supportive care-
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Constipation predominant IBS

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

Constipation is a sequelae of IBS. IBS presents in three different forms in people. Its either diarrhea predominant, constipation predominant or mixed. Your IBS is constipation predominant. Modifying diet and lifestyle will help constipation as well. Use constipation tablet on need basis only.

I hope it helps.
Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 5 hours later
Thank you very much for reply. But you have prescribed me ibs supportive care. Can i use constipation(docusate sodium) or i should definitely use only ibs.
Brief Answer:
Need basis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

You may use docusate sodium only on need basis when constipation is severe and had not passed stools in 48 to 72 hours. Apart from it, diet and lifestyle measures should be prefered.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 33 minutes later
So i have to use ibs supportive care.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Yes with diet and lifestyle modifications as well. Compliance to medications and lifestyle measures are helpful.
I hope it helps.
Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 41 minutes later
Thank you . Your answer helped me. So small tools floating means ibs. How stool looks for constipation. Awating for your reply. I would be grateful to you.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
not necessarily

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

NOt every small stool means IBS. it is a diagnosis of exclusion . Once all other possible causes are ruled out, like in your case where work up is normal then doctors suspect it and is very common. Constipation is a part of IBS some times when it is associated with other bowel symptoms like your case. It can appear as single entity , there only defecation is delayed and person does not pass stools in days.

I hope it helps.
Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 8 minutes later
But cvs pharmacy people are asking for prescription i didnt have prescription. Also they are asking which brand for IBS capsules.. I said its online, but they didnt accepted it.
I heard that Small stool with with floating in water means fat is not getting digested is it right?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prescription Not allowed.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

I am afraid we cant give you the prescription. Its our website policy to just counsel and educate the patients. Also i did not mention any prescription for IBS. All i mentioned is diet and lifestyle modifications for IBS. You dont need a prescription to get a yogurt and peppermint for IBS. Also no prescription can make you avoid trigger foods we discussed . You have to do it by yourself.
Yes it is. small floating stools means fats not being digested and that is hall mark for iBS symptoms.
Nutshell, IBS care is mostly diet and lifestyle adjustment. Not medicine.

I hope it helps.
Khan