What causes small red bumps on penile shaft?

Excellent

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
I have two small red bumps on penile shaft. Does it appear to be genital warts or an inflamed fordyce spot. I scratched it and it has grown bigger since doing so. I first noticed it when it was a lot smaller about 2 months ago.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of warts is there.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for posting your query.

I saw the picture sent by you. I apologize for not able to come to any definite conclusion about your problem as the clarity of the photograph was not very much appreciated. Tiny lesion was not visible clearly and not able to magnify or zoom the same.
As you are having this lesion for 2 months persistently it could not be Genital herpes or other STDs except that of genital wart. Does not fit with Fordyce or infected fordyce as this condition (Fordyce) tiny grouped papules and not one or two and usually not get infected. Other non viral warty lesions of skin can be consider which can be proved with biopsy result.These lesions can be ignored.A Dermatologist, by close examination, may be able to come to a conclusion easily.
If it is possible send me a better photograph of the lesion. So consult a Dermatologist.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: What causes small red bumps on penile shaft? 19 minutes later
One other thing to note is that when i stretch skin I cannot see these bumps as they are only slighty raised. I have attached some more pictures that hopefully will be better clarity. Also, I am confused by your previous answer you say I should have them biopsied or can ignore these lesions? Thanks!

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Herpes and warts possible.Need direct inspection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Lesions are very tiny. It is very difficult to point out the probabilities from the pictures. If it is coming and going (Recurrence), then my first diagnosis would be Genital herpes as these lesions appear as blisters over an erythematous base. If it is persisting as such, then the possibility of early genital warts is the diagnosis.

If it seems to be a non-infectious conditions of skin, like example a seborrheic wart, on examination, then it can be ignored as it will not be harmful either to you or your sex partner. If we are particular about the diagnosis of such non-infectious lesions over the skin a biopsy is indicated. That is what, I meant.
Dr S.Murugan