question-icon

What causes small bump on the rim of eyelid after crying?

Posted on Tue, 12 May 2015
Question: Hello, I had rubbed my eye a couple nights ago a lot (had been crying at the passing of a relative) and today I noticed a small bump on the rim of my eyelid. It's so tiny, clear and not irritated. It seems a little hard to the touch. What is this? Should I let it go since it does not bother me? I was wearing contacts at the time. Haven't worn them since.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN (16 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
It can be most likely a chalazion.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Your problem can be most likely a chalazion. This forms due to obstruction of meibomian gland-an oil gland. As it is not causing any discomfort no treatment is necessary. It may break and release by its own. You can apply warm compress with a wet towel about 5 minutes a couple of times a day.

If there is any irritation then you should consult your doctor as in case of secondary bacterial infection antibiotic drops will be needed. Better to avoid contact lens till it subside.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Nishad BN