What causes small black spots on the scalp?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I have these black dots in my hair and i'm not sure what they are. they are so hard to see...very tiny but there on my hair. Do you know what this could be? I've also noticed my hair seems to be getting thinner but not alot of hair falls out from brushing or washing. I've been diagnosed with seborrahea dermatitis and the doctors say its pretty mild.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hair lice

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I an sorry to hear that you are having problem with your hair. You see tiny blck dots on your hair. I am concerned that these maybe hair lice and you are seeing the nits or egg casings. I would recommend that you take a picture of the hair and the black dots and up load them to our website so I can see what you are having. If you can't do that then I recommend being seen by your medical provider or urgent care. The treatment is usually an anti parasitic medication followed by combing the hair with a fine toothed comb to remove all the nits.

Look forward to helping once you upload the images
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 21 hours later
Hi Dr.
I tried taking the photos but you will not be able to see them in the pictures. they are extremely tiny. there not oval shaped they are completely round black dots and not close to the scalp actually all over the hair.
Brief Answer:
possible head lice

Detailed Answer:
I would still be concerned that you may have head lice and what you are seeing are the nits. I would recommend that you see a medical provider either your PCP or urgent care.