Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

What causes slurred speech and imbalance problems?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12744 Questions
My 82 year old mother has the following conditions - swallowing food causes coughing and choking, can choke on water or saliva. Speech is slurred, phone calls are unintelligible in most cases. When laughing, face looks frozen. Left arm and hand is curled in and fairly useless, baby finger has trigger finger. Poor balance, falls frequently, once a day usually. Uses a walker and wheelchair, and when walking has small shuffling steps and lists to left side. Noticed lately a drooping on left side of her mouth. Cannot arise from bed, dress, bathe or toilet herself. Cat scans have ruled out strokes. Noticed first signs of shuffling steps about 4 years ago. Uses anti-depressants, vertigo drugs, and others to control cholesterol and high blood pressure, which she has never used until now. She suffered a Vertigo attack 3yrs. ago and it seems to have sped up symtoms. Thank you!
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Due to degenerative brain problems. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The symptoms that your other is having are likely to be related to the degenerative problems of the brain. These are not suggestive of stroke. You will need to get her examined by her Neurologist to find out the various causes of such symptoms which may be setting in at this age. It can be due to Parkinson's disease. Keep her well nourished with diet rich in proteins, fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables. Keep her well hydrated as well which is extremely important for aged persons. Prevent accidents for her as much as possible, do help her around the house when you can. Avoid pointing it out that she could be wrong or has misunderstood as this can contribute to depressive feelings in her. She will need your support most of all. Do help her out as much as possible. Do not delay in taking her to the Doctor and getting her a complete evaluation. There are good medication to retard the progression of Parkinson's disease to an extent which will help her be functional to an acceptable degree. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor