What causes sloughing of gums while brushing?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Dental Health
Question: I was brushing my teeth and a significant amount of my gums sloughed off while brushing. This was 3 days ago. it is not painful persay - but very discusting. It is my bottom two teeth under my incisors.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
soft tissue sloughing, tooth brush trauma, medicines

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through yourquery.
As far as the sloughing of the gums can be secondary to trauma caused by tooth brush.
Nothing to be panic, you can use topical anesthetic like lignocaine and topical analgesics like choline salicylate. Nothing to worry it will heal in 5days to 7days. Do not traumatise while brushing or eating or by touching that area.
Do saline gargling. I hope I have answered your query. If any queries are there reply me back. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 49 minutes later
Well doctor there is no real pain but every second day or so there is multitudes of blood when I wake up it is also on my pillow. I have to spit out the blood of course and there are gobs of it so I must know it's my gums... It's very terrifying I don't know what's happening
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
guminfection, thrombocytopenia, saline gargling

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback. I can understand your problem. Repeated injury while brushing or having food may delay healing and result in bleeding. Kindly upload the images of the area of interest so that I can give you exact diagnosis and treatment plan. The wound should heal by 5 days since you are telling there is bleeding from the wounded area I want to see the images of the area of interest, so that it can be ruled out from other conditions like gum infection or thrombocytopenia. Which usually manifest in bleeding from gums.
I would suggest you to consult a good oral physician and get it evaluated. Till then you do saline gargling which keeps the area clean and prevents bleeding.
I hope I have answered your query. If any queries are there reply me back. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 17 minutes later
I will send a better picture
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
gum infection, scaling, gum astringents

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for uploading the image. I have gone through the image.

As per the image, you have severe gum infection secondary to deposits over the teeth. This will cause bleeding from gums either while brushing or eating. So consult a oral physician and get your teeth cleaned and later you can use topical gum astringents which prevents bleeding from gums.

I hope I have answered you query. If any queries are the reply me back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Is there a way I can fix this myself?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
consult a oral physician, educational dental institute

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for replying.

There is no way you get it cleared by yourself. You need to consult a oral physician and get it treated. Regarding the insurance or cost of the treatment, you can go to a educational dental institute where you can get the treatment free of cost or with concession.

I hope I have answered your query. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 19 days later
Hello doctor. I have made it to a dentist as I cannot afford it right now. However, I know I need to go soon. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
medication, consult a oral physician.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback. Nothing to be panic. I have gone through the images. It is clear that the problem is because of the gum infection secondary to deposits. Nothing to worry. Get a scaling done (cleaning) the problem will be solved.
you can use the topical anesthetic and analgesic till you consult a oral physician.Try to go to a educational dental institute where you can get the treatment free of cost. Till you consult the physician you can use the above said medicines and do saline gargling.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery