What causes slip disc?

Posted on Wed, 22 Apr 2015 in Back Pain
Question: Dear Doctor,

What is the meaning of slip disk and how can we avoid it?
Only thing I know is that it's related to lower back pain and we must avoid lifting heavy things, but then do we have any special exercises to cure it, or to avoid it?
Do we have need to change anything in our diet to avoid this kind of problem?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can avoid it may maintaining good spine posture, avoiding lifting weigh

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

Slip disc means protrusion of intervertebral disc on spinal cord. This slip disc leads to compression of nerve root which is present behind disc. Due to compression of this nerve root there can be pain in your back and leg.

You can avoid it may maintaining good spine posture, avoiding lifting of heavy weight, avoiding bad roads, avoiding jerk to spine.

Spine extension exercises may help to avoid disc bulge.
Spine extension exercises [ Stand straight with both hands on hip bone now bend backwards from lower back, do as much as you can ,do not overstretch], Lying on your stomach flat with both hands by side of body, chin touching ground lift leg 6 inches from ground take around 10 breaths in this position , do it for other leg.
Now lift both hand and leg simultaneously, 6 inch off the ground and stay
Position for around 10 breathes. Core stabilizing spine exercises will help.

In diet avoid spicy and acidic food.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon