What causes slightly bigger liver?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I had an abdominal ultra sound and my liver was slightly bigger than six months ago. Should I be concerned?
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be concerned....

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

A slightly bigger liver is indicating for early stage of fatty liver. Your age (49-peri/menopause) is also a contributing factor to fatty, enlarged liver.

At this point, it is crucial to take good care of your diet and increase physical activity. This will help preventing further damages to your liver, thus, preventing to become bigger.

Another thing, please bare in mind that different lab technicians/doctors interpret differently the ultrasound report. Or, sometimes, the ultrasound machine is interpreting differently the size of liver. Thus, they will give slightly bigger liver as final conclusion.

If this is your case, this is perfectly within normal range, and nothing worrisome. Continue with lifestyle and diet changes.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: What causes slightly bigger liver? 9 hours later
the size of the liver in my utlrasound was 14.3 cm 7 months ago, nov 2013 . The last ultrasound in may 2014,the size went to 17.1cm. I have had prev ultra sounds in the past ten years to monitor change in some gallbladder polyps and the liver was unchanged until recently. Also the polyps increased from 4mm to 5mm.which I know is ok. Yes im going through menopause, last period was April.
does this information make a difference in your diagnosis. what is normal liver size in a ultrasound usually?
I exercise everyday and I'm 130 pounds at 5 ft 4 inches tall. I eat healthy whAt other lifestyle changes can I do? Also can autoimmune diseases cause a bigger liver ? I've had Ana positive for two years but have been to two rheumTologists and all other tests for autoimmune diseases were negative. My Ana went high right about the same time I started cymbalta. I tested neg for Ana XXXXXXX 2011 started cymbalta sept 2011 and tested pos Ana XXXXXXX 2012.
. I just went off cymbalta 4 months ago. Have not had my Ana tested again. Also my histone levels were high in conjunction with Ana. I'm praying that it is the cymbalta. What do you think?

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
Might be due to Cymbalta,need to run other tests

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

Yes, you are right. Cymbalta, in rare cases, can cause jaundice and other liver problems. Therefore, you should run liver panel examinations to evaluate the state of your liver. So, you should measure your:
- transaminases
- total/direct bilirubin
- GGT
- alkaline phosphatase

Try to calm down, and take the liver panel exams first before running into final conclusions. Let me know your reports once you have them!

Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: What causes slightly bigger liver? 14 hours later
I had alt. and ast tested plus autoimmune hepatitis a few weeks ago they were normal,11/2013 had all sorts of hepatitis tests weredone along with the other tests you mentioned except GGT because my alt and ast were elevated in March 2013. The tests were normal.
So should I assume my liver is ok ?
Also you didn't mention what lifestyle changes for fatty liver, could hairloss or my period stopping be related to liver disease in my case?

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following answers to your queries...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

Yes, definitely, if all the liver function tests you did resulted normal, then, your liver is ok.

With regards to lifestyle and diet changes for fatty liver, they include:
- avoid smoking/drinking alcohol
- limit sugary foods/drinks intake
- avoid fatty foods of animal origin
- get more physically involved (moderate to aerobic exercises)

Menopause is associated with period stopping. The hormonal changes would cause hair loss and fatty liver.

Hope it answered to your queries!
Dr.Klerida