What causes shortness of breath while on Atenol?

Posted on Mon, 13 Feb 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My husband has blood pressure reading of 128 over 49 pulse is 62. he will be 80 this year. experiences some shortness of breath. walks on treadmill 30 minutes a day. takes high blood pressure meds. benazepril hydrochrolotyzide and atenol. are these readings worrisome?used to have high bp 210 over 90. health otherwise good
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome back on HCM!

Regarding your husband's actual BP values they don't seem to be a great worry.

But, as he used to have high BP (like 210 over 90), the actual value could be a source of several complaints like body weakness, lightheadedness, even shortness of breath.

In such case, it is necessary to closely monitor BP values several times daily for a couple of days in order to properly conclude on his ongoing antihypertensive therapy.

If shortness of breath persists, then it is necessary to ask medical assistance to the nearest ER service at your living area, in order to investigate/exclude alternative causes like, pulmonary infection, arrhythmia, hypovolemia, etc.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist