What causes shortness of breath in a patient with fibromyalgia?
Cause of shortness of breath should be checked
Hi, I had gone through your question and understand your concerns. Shortness of breath is a rare symptom in Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue syndrome and the cause of it should be checked carefully. It might be caused by:
1. Affected muscles of chest wall ( pain doesn't let you take deep breaths).
2. An underlying cardiac disease (valvular insuficiency)
3. Anxiety or depression.
4. Upper airway resistant syndrome seen more in Fibromyalgia, but shortness of breath happens after moderate or high physical effort.
I suggest you to consult a Cardiologist to check for/ rule out any cardiac cause of shortness of breath. If there is not a cardiac cause, then it is related to primary disease or anxiety and treating better those should improve your shortness of breath. Hope this answers your question. Wish you good health. if you have further question, feel free to contact us.
In this case I think cause for SOB is stres.
Hi again. Thanks for asking back and clearing some questions I had about your shortness of breath cause. Since there is no cardiac cause then shortness of breath that you experienced may be caused from anxiety or stress, lesser possibility is to be caused from Fibromyalgia affecting breathing muscles ( if the pain that you feel is in your chest wall or abdominal area during deep breaths). I recomend you a more positive stand towards your shortness of breath, since there is no cardiac cause. In my opinion possible cause of your SOB is anxiety or stress. Hope I' be been helpful.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can fibromyalgia cause death
- Can fibromyalgia cause heartburn
- Does fibromyalgia cause swelling
- What is fibromyalgia
- Can methamphetamine cause fibromyalgia
- Fibromyalgia symptoms and causes
- What can cause fibromyalgia
- What causes fatiguediarreha and constipation when suffering from fibromyalgia
- What causes fibromyalgia pain
- Causes of fibromyalgia in women