What causes shortness of breath and swollen legs despite taking Furosemide?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: in so much pain i'm swearing/crying. What is the prognosis once on furosemide (20 mg/day)? Can't breathe very well, have injuries, here and there that will not heal after 3 months. Also, gums are isanely painful and are turning nearly black

lack of breathe, spots, bruises, grossly inflamed feet, gums and and ankles began about a week ago. Cold began at the end of January.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
See the description

Detailed Answer:
hello,
First don't worry so much, we will deal with your problems systematically and come to some conclusion. Whatever the problems may be we can certainly Optimise the treatment and bring your health to best possible level. For that I need to know some details about your problem. You need to tell me, about the known illness you are already having, sequencial beginning of your problems, the relieving and aggravating factors for your problems, upload your blood and other reports, also upload any discharge summary or doctor assessment or prescription if available. Any addiction like smoking or alcohol consumption.
Now, being on furosemide doesn't not mean bad prognosis. There are multiple condition like heart disease, low hemoglobin, kidney and liver issue which lead to fluid accumulation in the body and furosemide removes it and tend to maintain equilibrium. Medicine will help to keep these diseases under control and most of patients does really well with present day medicine available. As far as heart diseases are concerned, many patients are on furosemide and does quite well. Also, Along with furosemide, you should restrict salt and fluids like water tea coffee etc intake. This will help in reducing breathlessness and reducing swelling. Did you smoked or have any wheezing, cough then you can also have nebulization like ipratropium thrice a and budesonide twice a day. Please also provide some information about your injuries, are there any bony injuries also etc. In order to facilitate healing of injuries you can also get some multivitamin prescribed like Syr Zincovit or A toZ two teaspoon once a day etc and some calcium, vit D supplements. You should also be started on some antiallergic medicine like Tab Allegra 120 mg once a day, if you are not receiving any for cold, inflammation. For pain, you can get prescribed from local doctor tab Tramadol 50 mg whenever needed basis upto three times a day. So please get back with some more information for better opinion and if you have any further doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 14 hours later
YOU ARE REAL JOKERS!!!!!!!! I ONLY drink about 10 oz per day; WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See the description

Detailed Answer:
Sorry, we couldn't we couldn't solve your problems. All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana