Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

What causes shivering in spine and stiffness in joints?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 947 Questions
how does a person know if they have liver damage. my nephew is a 35 yr old alcoholic he is always tired very bloated and overweight. lately he is home sick plots of pain he says is charley horses, joints stiffening up, cold shivers then to hot sweats. says even his spine shivers with coldness. wont go to a doctor, says he just has a cold. which he does get a lot of colds but never this bad .what do you think doctor?
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Get the tests and call doctor at home if possible Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to HCM! I have read the query and can see that you are concerned about your nephew, who is chronic alcoholic and now has severe cold like symptoms but dosent what to see a doctor. from my clinic experince I can say that he need some urgent blood test- liver function, kidney function, lipid profile, blood sugar, complete blood count. if possible, get an ultrasound abdomen. These tests will tell about his liver status clearly. Also, get his blood pressure checked. For his present condition, I think it will be good if he takes a course of antibiotic, may be cefixime 200 mg twice a days for 3-5 days, along with adequate water and good food. he should at least cut down his drinking for some time if can't stop it altogether. With concomitant drinking - the dugs donot give desired effect. He should be given multivitamin, espically Vit. B1, 100 mg twice daily ( as it is reduced in people who drink alcohol) or may be a combination of various vitamins in tablet / capsule form ( like- benfomet plus, or rejunex OD) along with injectable multi vitamins ( inj. neuromark , etc) , as already he had been operated on his backache. He dosent want to see a doctor, but may be you can call someone at home, may be a physician or preffrably a neurologist. Please get the tests and if possible, call a doctor once, it will help him a lot. Do feel free to ask more questions for clarification Dr. Manisha Gopal MD Psychiatry
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor