What causes sharp stabbing pain under left breast?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: I have had a sharp stabbing pain under left breast ( lateral chest) for 1 week now. I went to the ER last Tuesday, had an EKG/XRAY and was told to rest a few days. I have been coughing for a few months now and had a coughing episode the weekend prior to these symptoms. When I cough or take deep breathe or sneeze (ugh) the pain is there and seems to radiate up and under left arm. ( I have had a history of cough and have had throat scope done twice over the past 6 months, lost voice for close to 8 weeks but all is fine with that now). Very fatigued. No fever. Oxygen level fine. High Blood Pressure - just put back on meds after ER for this condition. Was going to go back to ER, but fee I will only get same answers. Could this be a pulled muscle??
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your query...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Once you have excluded cardiac problems and pulmonary problems than the pain most likely is associated with a pulled muscle.

This is why you should definitely exclude cardiac and pulmonary problems. If you were my patients I would recommend to do the following examinations:
- Cardiac echo
- Stress test
- Chest Ct scan
This examinations will definitely exclude any cardiopulmonary problems and your problems most likely are related to musculoskeletal disorders (a pulled muscle).

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu

Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Is there any benefit to the EKG?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your query...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

ECG is of help in excluding life threatening arrhythmias or myocardial infarction, but it's of little help for excluding silent ischemia and other cardiac disorders. This is why it's essential to do the above mentioned examinations.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
You are most welcome!
Dr. Shehu
p.s: If you are satisfied with my answer please close this query and rate it to maximum.