question-icon

What causes sharp pain below the waist on the right side?

Posted on Mon, 14 Jul 2014
Question: sharp pain right side below the waist only in the front. Exact same location each time it flares up. bad rash on my back and my head is broken out. I think they are all connected. No gallbladder or appendix. Both are out. CT said Diverticulitus in the ER 4 months ago. New Dr. said new CT shows no Diverticulitus. Pain is bad. Yesterday it was only a 3 out of 10. Friday it was an 8 out of 10. enough I can't lay on my right side while in bed. I would rate the pain 7 out of 10. Pain is bad enough it makes my stomach upset. No vomiting, fever or chills.
Answered by Dr. Prasad (12 hours later)
Brief Answer:
I believe it is superficial dermatome pain...

Detailed Answer:

Pain that arises intra-abdominally are perceived as cramps or dull aches. Whereas skin and superficial pain are felt as pricking sharp pain, burning and irritation pain. I would appreciate if you can tell me more about this - is it a continuous pain or intermittent type of pain; the pain description (does it match any of the above variety);is it related to food, movements/exercises; does the pain reduce when you sleep/lie down.

I believe it is from superficial dermatome (nerve) related pain since couple of CT scans showed no serious pathologies. Moreover presence of rash links this pain to shingles which is a dermatome pain.

In this context, I would start you on pain medications - ibuprofen available over the counter may be helpful. If your primary care doctor agrees with me, they can provide a referral to dermatologist for subsequent management which most likely will be the use of pregabalin (lyrica).

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.

Dr. Prasad