What causes severe swelling in legs, feet, arms and shortness of breath?
yes, you may need to go back
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Swelling is due to fluid collection.
If fluid has also collected in the lungs then this can cause shortness of breath, though there are other causes as well.
If the abdomen is significantly swollen , it can compress on the chest and also contribute to shortness of breath.
You should go back if the swelling is worsening along with the shortness of breath.
You may need a chest x ray, along with blood tests. The blood tests would likely be a complete blood count, liver and kidney function.
They may also want to do an ECG to check function of the heart.
Abnormal heart, kidney and liver function can sometimes cause swelling.It can also occur in allergies or infection as well.
In some cases the exact cause is not known
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes fluid in legs and feet
- What causes swelling and numbness in feet
- What causes bladder leakage and swelling in ankles and feet
- What causes pain and swelling on feet
- What causes swelling and purple discoloration on feet
- What causes swelling in the feet after an abortion
- What causes fasciculations on legs and feet
- What causes a vibrating feeling in legs and feet
- What could cause swollen and burnt feet and legs
- What causes swelling and discoloration in feet