What causes severe sore throat and head congestion when having history of lung cancer?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Three weeks ago I was put on methlyprednislone ..for allergy to iodine contrast for lung cat scan. 32 mg 12 hrs before scan..another 32 mg 2 hrs before and 50 mg of Venezuela 1 he before. Had Cat scan at hospital at 6:00 pm and went home. Next day woke up with horrible sore throat and head congestion which within hours moved to lungs. My doctor on vacation so fill in Dr prescribed Z- pack 250 mg. Didn't touch it. Then prescription for levaquin 500 mg ..1 pill taken on five days. I feel horrible have missed three days in addition to previous time while on pills. I'm hot and sweaty and calmy, feel very tired, feel weak..no energy, am peeing frequently and have lower back pain now and dry cough in lungs. Is this normal? It doesn't seem so to me.I am usually a young feeling 69 year old. Had thoracic surgery 5 years ago for sarcamotoid lung cancer in upper right lung lobe which was removed.I also was diagnosed with sarcamodosis in sternum area at that time. Any suggestions what I need to do next? Can't stay out of work any longer. Thank you for any help you can provide. Sincerely, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
levaquin sounds OK

Detailed Answer:

the CT scan procedure doesn't seem to have to do anything with your symptoms. If it were allergy then I'm sure the fill in doctor would have diagnosed it. It sounds more like a respiratory tract infection, although the back pain and the frequency may suggest urinary tract problems (infection or partial/complete obstruction). This is not normally happening after a CT and the pills you've taken are not supposed to cause it.

Levaquin provides excellent coverage for most pathogens of both the respiratory and urinary tract. Until you can be diagnosed with more certainty, it's a good choice. If you've got a diagnosis from the doctor then just follow the instructions and take the drugs they've been prescribed to you. If no diagnosis has been established then you should talk with the doctor again, to provide information about your progress, particularly if you're not getting any better within a reasonable amount of time (next 3 days).

You'd better check your temperature because feeling hot and coughing etc is probably caused by an infection and the temperature levels are important in the evaluation of its severity.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!