What causes severe pain in right arm underneath the armpit?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My right arm throbs from underneath my armpit and the top of my right chest and a little bit in the middle. I have been sick with a cold and cough. I'm on antibiotics, (amoxicillin 875) and also given an inhaler(albuterol sulfate). I was also given Benzonatate 200mg and Prednisone 20 mg. My right arm has not been hurting until the last two hours. It is a dull aching pain. What is causing this pain? Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be an inflammed lymph node.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
As you are already having cough and cold for which you have been taking antibiotics it could be due to inflammed lymph nodes in the axillary group of lymph nodes which can occur during this period.
As body as a whole fights with the infection, lymph node plays an important role in this hence it might be observed that there is swelling in armpit like a small grape like structure or sometimes it cannot be felt too.
I feel this is just one of that reaction which csn be seen in respiratory tract infection. It will go away on its own as the infection subsides too.
If the pain doesn't come down even after infection is cleared then it could be some local infection ok skin in the armpit or the said area which can be examined by doctor and treated as necessary.
I hope I have answered your question well.
If you have any questions kindly ask me back.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina