What causes severe pain in lower back, upper buttocks and right leg?
Sciatica is likely.
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in the lower back radiating to right leg can be due to sciatica. Other possibility can be a disc prolapse, ankylosing spondylosis or a muscle spasm.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc. Eat a diet rich in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals.Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.
Do start with swimming. This will good for most back pains.
In case the pain persists then do consult an orthopedician for MRI scan and prescription muscle relaxants.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes severe pain in upper stomach area
- What causes severe pain under the breast on the right
- What causes severe pain in the upper back shoulders
- What causes severe pain from back to arm
- What causes severe pain at back and legs
- What causes severe pain in lower jaw bone
- What could cause severe pain in lower back with vomiting
- Can intake of lexapro cause severe pain in lower back
- What is the cause of severe pain in the legs
- Lump in lower left leg causing severe pain