What causes severe pain in carotid arteries in neck?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Thu, 10 Dec 2015 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I am having severe sharp pains in carotid artery areas both sides of my neck more so left side than right that is just above and under clavicles. I have 15 yr hx of severe hypertension not well controlled with 5 meds, have a pacemaker, hx of 1 TIA 4 mo ago, hx a- fib, hx of pulmonary embolism with green filter placement for blood clots. Pain sharp and severe for 2 days now.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
go to emergency now

Detailed Answer:
You have great risk for stroke with your uncontrolled hypertension. Stoke can stem from carotid disease. You need to be seen in Emergency as soon as possible and have an ultrasound of your carotid arteries. In addition, sometimes a heart attack can have the first symptoms be neck pain. Do not delay, go to emergency for evaluation now.
Dr. Robinson