What does this brain MRI report indicate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: My wife had an MRI of her brain today. It indicated chronic small vessel ischemic changes. What can she do moving forward? Besides controlling her high blood pressure can she do anything else?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that this is a chronic condition related to uncontrolled hypertension, dyslipidemia or diabetes if present.

Coming to this point, I would recommend taking daily baby aspirin 80mg, in order to stop the progression of the disorder.

It is also important to closely monitor her blood pressure and periodically check her blood lipid profile and fasting glucose.

Other tips to help improve her situation would be:

- use a balanced diet (Mediterranean diet is recommended)
- perform regularly physical activity
- try to lose some pounds if you are overweight.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri