What does this CBC test report indicate?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Blood Disorders
Question: My MPV came back at 10.7 fL, lab reference range of 6.0 to 10.8 fL. Platelet count is 216k/uL. All other CBC components look good. Full CBC is attached. All other tests related to the nephrology work up came back normal. Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
Your CBC is in the normal range. Mean platelet volume is normal and has very little significance in the absence of any disease process. It has importance in conditions where there is platelet consumption or increased turn over.
If you are willing to divulge your symptoms for which sought a Nephrology work up, I would be able to give my opinion.
Do get back to me with your input.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 2 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX
Thanks for the quick response. I have no other disease process that I'm aware of. The nephrology work up was triggered by increased creatinine levels, 1.5 and 1.6 results, over three months and essential hypertension that has been difficult to control. I have a 10-year creatinine history which averages 1.2 to 1.4. My latest creatinine was 1.4. I'm on Coreg and Diovan to control the HBP.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Sorry for the delay in reply due to the time zone difference.
Uncontrolled hypertension can affect the kidneys and raise the creatinine.
How is the blood pressure control now?
Salt intake and stress adversely affect blood pressure.
Have you done a 24 hour creatinine clearance test? It gives a better correlation to your kidney function than the egfr calculated from serum creatinine values.

There is nothing to worry about the MPV or any action required.

Do get back to me if you have further queries.