Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Suggest medication for high BP of 205 lbs

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 4584 Questions
What is prescribed for a 60 year old male , 205 lbs with blood pressure averaging 142/100 ?
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your actual blood pressure values are a little high, especially the diastolic blood pressure values.

Anyway, a single high blood pressure value is not indicative of uncontrolled hypertension.

For this reason, I recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure values for a week (in sitting position after ten minutes of total relax) and note those values down.

If your blood pressure is above the normal ranges (140/90 mm Hg) most of the time, I would recommend first performing some tests to investigate for other possible causes of secondary hypertension:

- a chest X ray study
- a resting ECG
- complete blood count for anemia
- blood electrolytes
- fasting glucose
- thyroid hormone levels
- blood lipid profile
- kidney and liver function tests.

Before going into a medical treatment, with such blood pressure values, I would first recommend some natural tips to lower your blood pressure values:

- reduce salt and caffeine intake
- perform a lot of physical activity (walking, aerobics, sports, etc.)
- try to lose some weight if your are overweight.

If these tips don't help and your blood pressure values is still high, I would recommend starting a calcium channel blocker (amlodipine, lercanidipine, etc.) or an ARB (valsartan, etc.).

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor