• question-icon

What causes severe pain during urination?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Ok, I was going to the bathroom and the phone rang. I squeezed myself to stop the flow and a couple of seconds later a sharp pain got my attention. As I finished peeing it hurt. When I was done I had red blood dripping in the bowl. Now I hurts like hell to pee and I'm having some red leakage.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seek urgent medical attention. Visit the ER

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. When you tried to stop the flow you had a severe muscle spasm that caused the pain. However, it is apparent that there has been a rupture of a blood vessel. You should visit the ER at the earliest. Please do not ignore it.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 20 hours later
I asked you what the treatment is for this injury almost 12 hours ago. Are you going to answer? Is it normal for this site to take so long to respond?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Taking Tylenol should ease the pain.

Detailed Answer:
Pardon me but there was no follow up query waiting to be answered. So responding was simply not possible. Anyway, you did not provide me an update about how the bleeding stopped or whether you have been to the doctor. Coming back to your query, taking Tylenol (acetaminophen) [OTC] should provide some relief from pain. Urispas (Flavoxate) would be better but is a prescription medicine that should help. However, as I have already mentioned, I would recommend a clinical evaluation which would determine further course of action. In case of a rupture, hospital based interventions for repair are likely to be needed.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha