What causes severe lower back pain and numbness at the back of the calf?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Severe lower back pain, numbness in back of right calf.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lumbar canal stenosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

You seem to be suffering from possible lumbar canal stenosis with radiculopathy or nerve compression.

Avoid bending or lifting weights. Apply hot packs to the affected region.

Get an Xray and MRI of the lumbosacral spine to confirm.

I would treat my patient with this problem with Tablet Diclofenac and Thicolchicoside combination twice a day after meals and Tablet Rabeprazole twice a day before meals for 5 days. These are prescription drugs. Apply pain killer gel.

If you have tingling or numbness, Lyrica 75mg at night for 2 months will help.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad