What causes severe itching on scalp?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Lupus
Question: my 70 year old wife has been using a red Sharpie instead of lipstick for over a year. She has recently developed severe itching on her scalp and deterioration of her arm and leg muscles. Do you think there could be a correlation?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes can be there.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that I think by red sharpie you mean red permanent marker . When at this age itching appear due to some allergic reaction it will be difficult to point out one cause . But as a general measure we should avoid anything which can be allergic as dyes are known to be allergic so she should avoid that and see for the response . Thats the only way to find out if its causing the allergy .

Dr. Shruti