What causes severe headache while on Clindamycin course?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I was in the hospital for 4 days of IV antibiotics to treat a staff infection. Now at home I just finished day 6 of 7 days taking 300mg Clindamycin by mouth every 8 hours. It is 3 AM and I have had a headache for the last 10 hours that is preventing me from sleeping. I decided not to take the latest dose of Clindamycin (3 tablets left) as a precaution. Could this headache be a cause for concern in my recovery?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not an emergency.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

A headache you refer may be linked to the infection itself, to fever, or to adverse effects of the drugs that you used.

These types of headaches improve with time and respond well to simple painkillers such Ibuprofen.

I don't see any emergency in your case.

If a headache persists more than one week or becomes more intense, see your Doctor.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj