• question-icon

What causes severe diarrhea after eating raw meat?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had diarrhea for a week ever since Tuesday eating raw clams and oysters in XXXXXXX D.C. last weekend (Friday night and Sunday night). I don't feell like I have a fever but the diarrhea isn't going away. i read that if I have a bacteria from shellfish it goes away without treatment other than the need to rehydrate.

the website said the doctor had an answer
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If bacterial or protozoal treatment is to be given.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

You are having recurrent gastroenteritis.Gastroenteritis is a very common condition that causes diarrhoea and vomiting. It's usually caused by a bacterial or viral infection.These bacteria and viruses target the digestive tract and cause inflammation of the stomach and intestines. Depending on the cause, viral gastroenteritis symptoms may appear within one to three days after you're infected and can range from mild to severe. Symptoms usually last just a day or two, but occasionally they may persist as long as 10 days.
As its not limiting itself in your case it can be bacterial or protozoal also.
So a stool test should be done to see if stools are infected with bacteria or protozoa.

Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration–You need to drink more than usual to replace the fluids lost from vomiting and diarrhoea.
Start taking Imodium4 mg thrice daily(OTC) to stop loose stools.This will provide relief from loose stools.
However antibiotic therapy with cefixime and ornidazole should be taken in case if stool test turns out to be positive for infection.
A probiotic should be taken twice daily for 5 days.

Hope my answer was helpful.
Follow up after 3 days.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist