What causes severe cough with chest pain while suffering from sinus infection?

Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello this past sunday til Friday I suffered from a sinus infection and I had a lot coughing. I started to notice in my upper right quadrant just below the ribs would hurt when I cough. The pain was also there when I stretched my back and felt discomfort in that area. The area is sore to the touch. I had bloodwork done just two months ago that showed all my liver functions to be fine. I have had a back injury to my spinal erectors on the right side that lasted around 6 months. I am just concerned about my liver. I was thinking more of it being a muscle though. Tramadol really helped with the pain but the soreness is still there
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain is probably because of acute bronchitis commonly seen after sinusitis

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query , reviewed your medications and understand your concern.

As per your clinical history it appears that you are most probably having acute sinusitis with Bronchitis .

In my opinion , pain is probably because of acute bronchitis commonly seen after acute sinusitis . Less likely because of liver disease .

If I were your treating Doctor for this case , I would advice
Salt water gargle twice daily ,
Steam Inhalation twice daily ,
Antihistaminic like Tab Claritin at night &
anti inflammatory analgesic Ibuprofen after food .
Avoid Tramadol for long term use .

You will get relief .

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D