What causes severe cough post intake of Tramadol?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been given Tramadol yesterday at A&E. I regularly take 3x75mg of Venlafaxine every day for anxiety. Today I have developed a very nasty cough. I was wondering if this is anything to be concerned about as my specialists have told me not to take these drugs together.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information to help sort this out:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

The problem with taking both Tramadol and Venlafaxine is that they can both increase serotonin and cause excessive neurological symptoms as a result of too much serotonin (serotonin syndrome). But a cough is not part of this. So it is unlikely that you're cough is from these.

ACE inhibitor blood pressure medications can have the side effect of a cough, and you are on one (Ramipril). Was this medication recently added?

If the cough is a dry cough talk with your doctor about the Ramipril. If it is from mucus going down the back of your throat or productive, it may be from an infection instead (that you may have possibly picked up at the A&E).

I hope this information helps.