What causes severe cough in the evening and night time?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Mon, 27 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I have this certain problem since almost 6 months nw.....every evining or night i cough to the maximum ...and its a really bad killer cough and it just doesnt stop..in the mornings am fine ..totally fine...then all of a sudden without any warning i start to cough....usually something cold or sweet triggers it..but even though i dont just eat anything such i just cough...its sometimes wet and sometimes dry(mostly)
At that moment if i breath through my mouth i just feel a hoarse rough sound from my chest thinking its a wet cough bt actually dry....sometimes if not a cough then i feel quit rough and itchy in my throat..
Went to a doctor...she told me possibly a cold allergy...gave me a medicine to eat only when i have a cough..TOFEN.tablet
But this doesnt get rid of my problem actually when i have a cough it doesnt help much...it just helps for one day..and after two three days the problems back...i have restricted myself to many things and would need help to get back to my normal life...because when the cough is there....its really really worse....almost tears my throat and in the morning i feel my throat damaged
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to irritation causing from Laryngopharyngeal reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. Your problem can be most likely due to irritation causing from Laryngopharyngeal reflux.
For such condition I would suggest taking Proton pump inhibitors like Esomeprazole (Nexium) and combination of anti histamines like Levocetirizine & mast cell stabilizers like Monteleukast. This should be taken for long term like 1 month to clear this. Take light meals at short intervals.
Avoid excess fatty , greasy , spicy and junk foods.Carbonated drinks , coffee , alcohol and smoking should be avoided also. Take dinner at least 2 hours before bed time. Raise the head end more with adequate pillows.

If it is productive cough then chest x ray and sputum AFB test should be done to rule out tuberculosis also.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 10 hours later
Right now coincidentally i am taking nexium.because 2 months ago i was diagnosed with gastritis caused by h pylori..
I asked my doc wether it cn be the cause of cough but he said it happens very rarely and if the cough lasts for over 8-12 months...and he gave me anti histamines and cough syrup
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
In that case most likely Laryngopharyngeal reflux only.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query.

As you having gastritis it is most likely laryngopharyngeal reflux the cause of your problems. Persistent gastritis can increase gastro esophageal reflux. Taking Nexium and motility enhancers like Domperidone for long term will be helpful in such case. If there is no improvement a consultation with gastro enterologist and fibrogastroduodenoscopy should be done to find out the exact status and to manage it.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.