What causes acid reflux while on Omeprazole?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am on omeprezole and it eliminates my acid reflux. But I experience a bile upflow in the esophagus which is extremely painful , occasionally. It seems to be different from normal acid reflux. What causes it and what can I do about it?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Add a prokinetic

Detailed Answer:
HI,

It is been experience in my practice that I add a prokinetic medicine to acid regulator to help propel the acids and bile salts into the lower parts of the system. This prevents any upward reflux.
I think your doctor can add Itopiride or Levosulpride to Omeprazole or Esomeprazole.
Irrespective, these are something you should change,
eat small meals and very frequent meals
add some amount of fat to it so that the bile acids have some work to do to break the fat.
Avoid citrus food, lemon, tomato based foods. Avoid alcohol.