What causes severe cough in children especially at night?
Can I be advised of any medication for this. The cough does not result to noticeable mucus.
Give her some antiallergic as well as steam inhalation.
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
Most often respiratory tract infection in children is caused due to certain viral infections. Most often such infections are associated with allergic reactions which could be the possible cause of night time cough. Giving some antiallergic like cetirizine syrup for a few days should help in relieving the problem. Alongside, giving steam inhalation should provide relief. Water in the form of vapor reaches deep into the lungs and helps in diluting the cough and provides relief by diluting the cough and should enable her to produce mucus. Ibuprofen can be effective in reducing pain or fever but not otherwise. If the child is active and fine, you need not worry, but if the child is still developing wheezing or rapid respiration, visiting the ER without delay should be a good idea.
Hope that helps.
Dr. Diptanshu Das
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes severe cold and cough every month
- What causes coughing at night
- What is the cause for throat pain and severe cough
- Causes of coughing at night
- Cough in children causing vomit
- What is the cause of burst eardrum with severe cough
- What causes severe coughing at noght
- What causes severe abdominal pain on coughing and sneezing
- What causes severe cough with mucus
- What causes severe cough leading to convulsions and redness
- Suggest treatment for autism spectrum disorder
- What causes loose stools post cesarean operation?
- Suggest treatment for rash on a 4 yr old
- What do light colored skin patches on thigh indicate?
- Suggest treatment for fever and sore throat in a child
- What causes swelling in head of an infant?
- Can Taxim O Forte and Vizylac be given together?
- Suggest treatment for anorectal malformation in a down syndrome child
- What causes vomiting after feeding breast milk?
- Suggest treatment for persistent high fever