What causes severe chills and fever in an elderly person?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: 72 year old female
Aching in bone for two consecutive days. Last three days chills and fever alternate. Symptoms have not decreased in last two days. No sore throat not sinus issues? No vomitting
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Urinary tract infection probably

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for the query

There is a chance it could be a urinary tract infection which is very common.

Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily unless prohibited by the Doctor. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables.

Do get the urine tested for micro-analysis and infection(culture sensitivity assay) and visit a Doctor as soon as possible.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow-up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 29 minutes later
Thank you. She went in for a bladder infection two and half weeks ago and was put on a regiment of antibiodicts. Sounds like the regiment did not clear clear up infection. I will take her to drop in clinic in the AM

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get well soon

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the information.

Urinary infections tend to be recurrent commonly in susceptible individuals.

You've made a good decision to take her to the clinic. Hope she gets well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D