question-icon

What causes severe back pain in an elderly person?

Posted on Fri, 3 Nov 2017
Question: I am 82.while tightening a bolt i fell on my back six months back;i got back pain which contiues to trouble.it is not there when sitting but starts near the iliac crest on either side accompanied by pain below the lower most rib.and a feeling of tightness of the abdomen.iam 55kg,170cm,walk 2 to 3km daily.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Can be a muscle spasm.

Detailed Answer:
The pain that you are feeling is likely to be related to muscle spasm or a mild inflammation like myositis.
There can be a mild soft tissue injury also which cannot be detected by an X-ray. It is best to get an oral muscle relaxant prescribed from your physician and do a hot compress. Doing a regular physiotherapy will also help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon