What causes severe anxiety while on Melatonin?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Sleep Disorders
Question: Good morning,
It just happened to me about couple weeks ago. I went to bed at 10PM and wake up around 12 -12:30AM and couldn't go back to sleep. I tried Melatonin 10mg bought the counter before going to bed, someday it helped me sleep for 4-5 hours at night but sometime I still couldn't back to sleep if I woke up in the middle of the night from the noise. I did exercise every day during lunch time. Would you please tell me what cause of this and what can I do to have a good night sleep so I can function at work. Thank you so much for your time
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety could be the cause of the problem

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

I can understand your concern. A lot of individuals suffer sleep issues. You have problems of awakening in night and non refreshing sleep. You are able to sleep but not maintaining it.

This could be occurring due to a number of reasons. Anxiety is one of common cause of night time awakening. Even if you are functioning normal in day time even then unconscious anxiety might cause problems during sleep. Some medical causes like hyperthyroidism should be ruled out if the symptoms persist. So proper evaluation is needed to find out exact cause.

You here tried Melatonin and it helped for few days only. Other drugs like Zolpidem or Zopiclone or even low dose benzodiazepine like Clonazepam or Lorazepam can help in improving the problem. The drugs can help to improve the symptoms if used on SOS basis. Taking extended release Zolpidem in 6.25 mg dose can help in maintaining sound sleep. This will help to prevent night time awakening. So you can discuss with your doctor for prescription of the drugs.

Thanks and Take care