What causes severe abdominal pain and constant pain in left inguinal region?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am a 39 year old male, physically active. I have had bilateral hernia repair done about five years ago. My primary said that he believes the operating surgeon botched the procedure. However, no testing was done to review my current symptoms. I have terrible abdominal pain that feels like tearing around the incision site, mesh was used but I have no idea what kind. I am currently suffering from constant pain in the left inguinal region. My primary checked me to no avail. However, I have heard a general practitioners have trouble finding them.

When I apply pressure on the point of the pain and cough I feel bubbles passing undrr my fingers. Is this another hernia? Are there any questions to pose to my surgeon at my next appointment. I am not going to the same provider. My discharge was a wheel chair ride and a small pillow, and good luck. Even though I have a chronic, gagging cough.

Please help.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 34 hours later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below. Please read carefully and to be followed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
To recapitulate: Male/39 - lesion repeatedly on the back of head and rib cage (no detail or photos available) - may have parasitic infection/infestation (please specify - intestinal or otherwise) - terrible bloating and diarrhea *10 years - 2 colonoscopies and no answer - terrible abdominal cramping and tearing sensations that are hard to tolerate - anxiety and heart rate problem - diagnosed as IBS - cough can trigger uncontrolled bowel movements - destroyed quality of life - bilateral hernia mesh repair *5 years ago - no testing done to review - tearing around incision site - constant pain in the left inguinal region - feels *bubbles passing under the finger on applying pressure and coughing - * have a chronic gagging cough - discharge was a wheel chair ride, a small pillow an good luck...
Your questions:
- Is this another hernia?
- Questions to pose to the Surgeon on next appointment

My thoughts after recapitulating the history:
You are suffering from abdominal problems for 10 years and operated 5 years back. This may mean that your pre-existing problems of abdominal problems were present far before the actual surgery or hernia mesh repair.
- By the history of feeling bubble passing under fingers on pressure on the point of pain and coughing indicates that there is recurrence of hernia.
- There should be a full proper clinical evaluation, examination and investigations to find out or to rule out the cause of your symptoms and to find out the proper medications that suit you as ell as be effective to control your symptoms. This needs a permutation and combination of various medicines and alternative medicines/pathies and regular review and interaction with your treating Doctors and therapists.
If done properly you can have very good results to the point of having far improved quality of life that I can assure you.
This needs the following:
- Stool tests for 3 consecutive days
- Blood panel must have already been done. To review some important ones are:
CBC, sugar/glucose, thyroid, liver, pancreatic function tests.
- X-ray of the abdomen in standing position.
- Contrast enhanced CT scan of the whole abdomen.
- If all the tests are normal, this (problems of 10 years) may be taken as IBS, that is irritable bowel syndrome and to be treated symptomatically. Please remember the most important reason for IBS stress and/or anxiety.
This has to be made under control at any cost and then see the results.
You may use alternative therapies like acupressure, yoga, naturotherpy, meditation and so on.
Stop all the foods and beverages that you must have noted till now to enhance or increase your problems.
Alter the lifestyle in such a way that all the incidences, nature of work, job, people around and any situation that enhance or increase your problems must be tackled, avoided or forego. Life comes once and one does not really loose anything by avoiding the factors that cause or increase the problems.
- Questions to your Surgeon:
All the pints I just emphasized.
About the recurrence of hernia and possible investigation to confirm and causes that should be treated that caused the recurrence.
Do not go for another surgery unless the causative factors are under control. This is to have good results.
No one can afford the 2nd recurrence.
Also a second opinion of a Gastroenterologist, investigations and modes and treatment.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please follow the guidelines and I am sure you will have better quality of life as it helps all my patients with similar history.

Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries of you feel that there is a gap of communication.