What causes retained placenta, occasional spotting and vaginal bleeding?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 7 Nov 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 11 weeks postpartum and still have occasional bleeding and brown or yellow spotting. I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks postpartum that showed no retained placenta. I am breastfeeding.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to hormonal changes.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for the query at ATD about your health care.
I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.
As you are not having retained placenta and bleed and spot occasionally,it is most likely due to hormonal changes.
As you are breastfeeding your baby ,if it is not exclusive breastfeeding than it may also cause spotting( it will take time to hormone to return back to normal) .
Overactivity may also be responsible, so if you are overactive,reduce your activities.
It can be due to thyroid disorder, so get your thyroid text done.
Hope found useful, feel free to discuss more information.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 18 minutes later
Thank you!
I also forgot to mention that I have a large fibroid as well. Could that cause abnormal bleeding?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,it may cause bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
You are most welcome.
Yes,fibroid may also cause irregular bleeding.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 16 minutes later
Is there any way to make the bleeding and spotting stop whether its from hormones or the fibroid?
Brief Answer:
Yes,you can take birth control pills.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
You should consult a Gynecologist and take birth control pills to control bleeding and spotting.
Fibroid is usually needs removal but depends upon size and position.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 44 hours later
Is there any way an ultrasound could have missed a retained placenta fragment?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chances are quite low.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Sorry for the delay in my response.
The chances are quite low but if any doubt you can ho for ultrasound TVS scan.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.