What causes reduced menstrual flow and unusually severe stomach cramps?
Consult Gynecologist. Details below.
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.
I needed some more information to help you better.
Light periods can occur in the presence of stress, both physical (excessive exercise ) and emotional stress.
What is your BMI? If your BMI is below normal i.e. <19Kg?M2 it can cause light periods. Thyroid disease, pelvic infection, and polycystic ovarian disease can cause light periods.
Are you sexually active? Have you had any curettage of the uterine cavity? If so it is important to find out whether there are any adhesions in the uterine cavity (Asherman’s Syndrome), as this can cause light periods.
Light period is normal finding in some women. But it is important to be evaluated by your gynecologist to find out the possible reason if any ( mentioned above).
Are your periods regular? When does this cramping start? For how long does it stay? These cramps are known as dysmenorrhea. There are two types of dysmenorrhea.
1. Primary dysmenorrhea is normal and is due to uterine contractions. It starts just before the period or on the day of period and subsides in 2-3 days’ time as the bleeding reduces. This cramping can sometimes be severe like what you are experiencing.
2. Secondary dysmenorrhea is due to diseases like, endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease, small fibroids ( benign muscle tumours) protruding into the cavity of the uterus.
Primary dysmenorrhea can be relieved to some extent by placing heating pad on the abdomen, taking hot water shower and massaging lower back. If this does not relieve pain medications like mefenamic acid can be used.
Since you have dysmenorrhea and light periods I advise you to consult your doctor to find out the cause. Treatment can be planned based on the cause.
I hope this helps.
If you have any further queries, do write to me. i will be happy to answer.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What cause stomach cramps and bloating
- Will meth cause stomach cramps
- What causes stabbing stomach cramps
- Experiencing stomach cramps causes
- What causes stomach cramps with diarrhea
- Mild stomach cramps causes
- Painful stomach cramps causes
- Intermittent stomach cramps causes
- Lower stomach cramps causes
- Severe stomach cramps causes