What causes redness on tongue?

Dr. Shesh Jaiswal

Dentist, Endodontics

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Dental Health
Question: I recently went to the dentist who has referred me to an oral surgeon for a red (non-painful) spot under my tongue. I had the same spot at my last visit so he is concerned. However, I play lacrosse and wear a mouth guard and I am wondering if this is causing the redness on my tongue. (I am wondering if the redness may have resolved since my last office visit, but then began again, now that I have resumed lacorosse.) Of course, I am very concerned, based on my dentists reaction to the fact that I still have a sore in my mouth. I am wondering if you feel that this "sore" could be from my mouth guard, or if this is an unlikely possibility?? I have no other issues with my mouth (no pain, discomfort, swelling, or trouble eating or chewing). Eager to hear from you! What are the odds that the sore is nothing serious, considering that it was in my mouth several months ago?
Answered by Dr. Shesh Jaiswal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
can be a mucocele

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for consulting HCM.

This dr XXXXXXX jaiswal answering your query.i have gove through your query and understand your concerns.

As you mentioned that you use mouth guard yes it can be due to an irritation from mouth guard. but its not likely to be there for several months.

It can be a mucocele .it is generally painless and lower surface of tounge is a common site for that.it can vary in color from red spot to bluish raised dot.

Anyway in either case i don't think its anything to bother much. Mucocele (if causing any problem) can be removed easily.

If i were your treating doctor i would check
1. The mouth guard you are using.if any problem in that then consdering it for change..
2. Look for any change in shape size and number of the red spot.
3. If its a mucocele then should be removed.
4. Whether lingual salivary gland duct (opening) is normal or obstructed.

If you could upload the picture of the red spot i would have a better idea.

Waiting for your follow up query with the picture.

Hope this answer was helpful.

Dr. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T