What causes redness on the calf?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: my calfs are extremely red. I live a sedentary life style. I have begun walking most mornings approx. .5 mile.
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can improve within few days

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, if by redness you mean soreness and pains while walking, it can be a normal sequalae to start excercises or walk after a prolong sedentary lifestyle and may improve in a matter of days itself once you keep on walking and doing walks. But If it's red or there is swelling or temperature between both limbs is different, then if calls for an immediate medical facility follow up to rule out limb ischemia or blood supply problems and needs a detailed examination of pulses and blood flow clinically and on doppler ultrasound of blood vessels to look for any abnormality in the blood flow. Meanwhile using OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen and muscle relaxants like orphenidrine or tizanidine will help. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D