What causes red itchy rash in the groin area?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a very painful red itchy real red rash at my panty line ive tried a number of things
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Many skin disorders can involve the groin area and present as painful or itchy red rash like intertrigo, tinea, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX disease etc.
Of all these causes intertrigo is the most commonly seen disorder affecting the area.
I would appreciate if you could send me a good resolution image of the affected area so that I can suggest a probable diagnosis. You may upload the image by clicking on upload report/image icon which is on right side of query page. You may also send the pics to YYYY@YYYY . mention ATTN DR KALPANA PATHAK in subject line.
In the interim, wear loose cotton clothes. Keep the area well ventilated and dry. Avoid using soap/dettol/savlon etc over affected area. Just wash the area with water and apply a steroid antifungal cream. You may mix hydrocortisone and clotrimazole cream in equal quantity and apply twice daily over affected area. Also dust the area with antifungal powder multiple times in a day.

Hope this helped.
Post the pics and we will take this discussion further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 8 hours later
What would be the best thing for it over the counter?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
clotrimazole hydrocortsione combination cream.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing back.
I would have really appreciated if we had taken this discussion further with a good pic of affected area. However going by the description, clotrimazole cream mixed with hydrocortisone cream applied twice daily should help in resolution of lesions. These are easily available as OTC products. Also take oral antihistamine like levocetrizine twice in a day to control the itch. Keep the area well ventilated and dry.
In my patients, depending upon severity I usually prescribe oral fluconazole or terbinafine along with topical antifungal ( clotrimazole/eberconazole/luliconazole /sertaconazole) with or without steroid( beclomethasone/fluticaosne/hydrocortisone/mometasone)

So you may start with levocetrizine and clotrimazole hydrocortisone cream. Get back for follow up after five to seven days.
Hope this helped.