• question-icon

What causes recurring stinging pain and swelling in the anal canal area?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello doctor,
As told earlier, I have been massaging the scar/pain area for the last 1.5 months. The hardness/ swelling and pain seems to be decreasing. But 4 days back I massaged the area in circular motion and suddenly while doing so felt a stinging pain . Although the hardness/ swelling after that decreased but since then I am feeling stinging pain as if something got bruised from inside. When I look from outside there is nothing except I can see some swelling in the area.
Please suggest what can be the reason for such a stinging pain.
Should I continue with the massage or leave it for some time.
Any medicine you can suggest to decrease the pain/swelling.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop massage, anti-inflammatory, laxatives, sitz bath

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Good to know that the harness, swelling and pain is decreasing with massage, although there was sudden pain 4 days back while massaging in circular motion.
Stinging pain is most probably indicative of a nerve pain. As we discussed in past, the nerve endings change and may form clubs to have maximum sensitivity a a part of normal healing process.
Internal micro-hemorrhage also can cause the similar pain, and most likely cause if you can see some swelling in the area, Please stop massage say for about a week for the healing to occur and for pain to settle.
You may take Ibuprofen or any other anti-inflammatory which suits you and also has painkiller property too.
Watch for hard stools and if present continue the laxatives that suited you in the past and helped with soft stools.
Have sitz bath in a warm water.
No such activities that cause the strain on the anal canal area.
No stress or anxiety, it will be fine sooner if you take care.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 6 hours later
Thank for the answer
Please suggest the dosage of ibrufen (mg and frequency)
Any other ointment/cream which i can apply?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
400 thrice daily - preferably at 8 hourly interval

Detailed Answer:
Ibuprofen 400 mg at 8 hourly intervals after some food, with Ranitidine 150 twice daily. I hope these suit you.
Nothing at the moment, let us give it a rest at the moment and see the progress to decide further course of actions.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon