question-icon

What causes recurring abdominal pain on the left side?

Posted on Mon, 25 Jul 2016
Question: Recurring abdominal pain left side, navel level, comes and goes last week or so, quite tender to touch when pain is present, no pain at all when it goes away even when pushing fingers quite deep into area in question, any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy has to be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such pain can be caused by many different things and is very nonspecific symptom. However, considering you age (over 50), large intestine issue (like a tumor or polyp) has to be ruled out at first.
Especially if you have any constipation, occasional bloating, gas obstruction.
If there is any lump in the umbilicus, hernia can be the reason.

I suggest you to consult your doctor. Abdominal ultrasound, blood work and urine analysis should be done and colonoscopy scheduled.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon