What causes recti divarication?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Lump
Question: When I am working or straining above my stomach will come out sort of like it is going to explode. could this be a hernia. it does not hurt.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please give details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short.
If the stomach/abdomen comes out in the center from lower chest to umbilicus, it is called divarication of recti. Abdominal wall exercises to strengthen the muscles can reduce this well, usually no surgery is required as it is not a true hernia.
If popping is happening anywhere else on straining or coughing and gets reduced on its own then its hernia. This is called impulse on coughing.

Please give some details:
At which part of abdomen is this happening?
Since when is this present?
Is it reducible
Any other information that you would like to share.